Pages

Friday, November 7, 2014

Day Two with Nicki Newton - Implementing Fraction of the Day


On to Day 2 of my mini series: Fraction of the Day.

If you missed Day 1, click here.

Nicki really stressed the need for constant review in critical areas, like division, fractions, and decimals.  I am a huge beliver in the calendar math from Stephanie over in Teachinginroom6.  This is something we spend 10 minutes on each morning, and then we also spend 10 minutes reviewing the spiral math homework from Stephanie each day.  It's helped my students tremendously! I find that they need spiral review in the critical areas of the CCSS, such as place value and expanded notation in order to retain the skills.  This was my answer!  

Anyways...

What I am going to start doing is implementing Fraction of the Day and Decimal of the Day into my math block.  I'm going to aim to do it twice a week for each topic, and these topics will become a section in my student's Math Notebooks.  I also am a big supporter of Runde's Room Interactive Math Journals and find them to be an excellent tool for the students to keep.  Nicki had these cool little dice that I got my hands on, and that's really all I'm going to do for these two activities. Put it under the Elmo and off we go!  Use the inside number as the numerator and the outside as the denominator, or vice versa. 

Aren't these the cutest 'lil things?  *love*

Here's a couple of ideas to do with Fraction of the Day (by Nicki)

1. Decide if it is in simplest form
2. Add 1/4; Draw a model
3. Subtract 1/4; Draw a model
4.  Add 1/2 (You want students to realize that this is easy…just decompose 1/2 into fourths); Draw a model
5.  Subtract 1/2 (see above); Draw a model
6. Multiply it by 3/ Write a story to go with your equation
7. Compose/Decompose it …like  3/4 = 1/4 +1/4 + 1/4 or 3/4 = 1/2 +1/4
8. Divide 3 by it / Write a story to go with your equation
9. Draw it on a Numberline….Is it closer to 0, 1/2 or 1
10. Draw it as a set and/or as the area model

There is also a graphic organizer for this activity as well.  I am a lover of anything graphic and anything organizer, so I'm all over this.  You could also use a section of the student's math journals to do this activity as well (which I will do). 

Here's the link to the pin for the graphic organizer.  It may or may not be a $$ item, but I made one for free that has the same information on it.  You can grab that freebie here at my TpT store.


Tomorrow I'll share the Decimal of the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy!! Thanks for taking the time to say a few words. Be sure to leave your email if you are a no-reply blogger!